We got fresh carrots at the vegetable vendor yesterday, and I had this obvious intention to make a salad from these carrots. These were so fresh and juicy that when I blanched them, the whole kitchen smelled carroty. I made a salad of carrot peels and rice noodles. One of most easy salads to make, with the least number of ingredients; but it definitely takes a little time to peel and blanch.
I call this “Sunshine Salad” as I love the colors and the freshness in it. It’s another thing that we had this in the evening. So, should I call it “sunset salad” ??
- 3 carrots washed and peeled
- 200 gm raw rice noodles
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves, picked
- 2 cloves of garlic, mashed in the mortar and pestle
- Extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
– Peel the carrots till you reach the bony structure in the centre.
– Boil some water in a heavy bottom pot, and in the carrot peels; blanch them for 5-7 min, till they are soft enough to chew, but not hard on the teeth.
– In a wide bottom dish, pour in some recently boiled water and add the raw rice noodles. Let them sit in this water for 5 min or so, and they will be cooked.
– Combine both the peels and the noodles, garlic, season the mixture with salt, add in the fresh thyme leaves, drizzle olive oil and serve warm.