I am constantly trying to make more of what I eat healthy, and low fat. This cake is also such an attempt. It is more of an evening-snack or a morning breakfast cake. I did some research and found that whole wheat does not just give you the necessary fibre, but also keeps you relatively full without all the extra calories that get added from rice or pasta. And the measurements I used of semolina and whole wheat in this cake seem to be kind of ideal for cakes in general. So, the next time you cake-makers think of making any, think of adding whole wheat and semolina.
Also, note that whole wheat necessarily does not mean a “heavy cake”. Its all in the way you make it. Use the usual crystallized sugar for this, and do not bother with using confectioners’ sugar; trust me – you are being pedantic if you really “want to” use the latter.
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup semolina
- ½ tspn salt
- ½ tspn baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Zest of half a lemon
- 5 tbspns of canola oil or any odourless one
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 10. 2 medium sized eggs, separated
– Preheat your oven to 175 C.
– In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients (flour, semolina, baking powder, zest, salt and sugar), and mix them till they combine
– In another bowl, combine all the wet ones (buttermilk, egg yolks, oil and vanilla). Mix thoroughly so that they combine well.
– In another bowl, whisk (by hand or with an electric whisk) the egg-whites till they are airy and light, for about 1-2 min. and add them to the wet-dry mixture. Fold the egg-whites and avoid combining really hard; we want all the airiness of the egg-whites incorporated.
– Pour the mixture into a greased and lined cake tin and bake for 30-40 min, till a skewer comes out clean.
- 6 tspns sugar (crystal)
- 3 tbspn water
- Juice of half a lemon
– On the stove, heat the water and sugar till they become transparent. Add in the lemon juice and cook for another 3 min.
– After your cake cools down, make some holes with a toothpick on your cake and drizzle the lemon syrup over the cake and serve the cake warm.