We tried this recipe some months back, when my mother visited us. In place of flat-rice, you can use the regular rice (basmati or pudding). When we make sweets at home, we make sure to use a few spices to aid digestion, and to avoid ill-after-effects of the sweets. Both cardamom and camphor here used here for that purpose, in addition to taste, of course.
- 1 cup flat-rice, dry roasted till golden
- 1 cup of tur dal, dry roasted till light golden
- 1 cup of powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 cup of ghee, melted
- 1 tspn cardamom powder
- 2 tiny pills of camphor, ground
- Dry roasted nuts and a few raisins (raisins can be soaked in warm water beforehand, for around 10 min, or roasted in a tspn of ghee)
– After the roasted components are slightly cool but still warm, grind them, separately, till they are fine powders.
– Work quickly, and while the powders are still warm, combine them with the cardamom powder, camphor, sugar, and the nuts and raisins.
– Add the melted ghee, little by little and make balls between your palms. Let them cool at room temp, so that they become firm. Then serve.