Mustard is the mainstay in many southern Indian and Bengali dishes. We make a green mango pickle once a year and store it for the year. Made from dry ground mustard, red chilli powder, and other spices, it tastes amazing in summer. It makes us sweat profusely because of all the spices, and keeps the body cool.
- 4 large or 6 medium carrots, diced into cubes
- 350 g French beans, cut into halves
- 1 small or 100 g green mango
- 1 tbspn grain mustard
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tspn fresh cream
- ½ a red onion (about 20 g)
- Fresh ground black pepper
– Roast beans and carrots in the oven at 200C for 20 min, till just cooked but not charred.
– In the processor, add the green mango, grain mustard, garlic, cream, onion and salt. Process till the mixture becomes a lightly coarse paste.
– If you are not using a processor, a pestle and mortar will do the job quite efficiently. Just make sure you add a little salt to the mixture when mashing it up.
– After the vegetables are roasted, mix in the paste and serve immediately if possible. But the salad does keep well till lunch.