We try to use organic whole wheat pasta as far as possible. Even here, we made this with organic whole wheat spaghetti. But you could use whatever is available with you.
- 350 g whole wheat spaghetti
- 150 g beetroot, chopped into chunks
- Zest of 4 small lemons/limes or 2-3 medium lemons/limes
- Juice of the above lemons/limes (optional)
- A selection of herbs (mint, parsley, thyme, dill, etc.)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 3 green chillies, chopped roughly
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
– While you cook your spaghetti according to packet instructions (generally 8 minutes), throw in the chopped beets too. By the time the pasta cooks, the beets will also come out soft.
– While the pasta and beets are cooking, make the gremolata by placing the herbs, garlic, chillies, lemon/lime zest, salt in your processor, and add a tbpsn of olive oil to lightly emulsify
– In a tbspn of oil in a pan on the stove, cook the gremolata for 10 seconds, to remove any raw pungency from the garlic.
– After the pasta is cooked, process the beets in the processor till a smooth paste is formed. Add this paste and the gremolata to the cooked pasta and combine till everything is evenly coated and mixed.
– Season with ground pepper and olive oil and serve immediately. You can sprinkle the lemon/lime juice at this stage, if you like.