Calabash or bottle gourd is a widely grown vegetable/fruit in Asia. It is known for its calcium and potassium rich properties. Juice of raw bottle gourd had in the morning, on an empty stomach, is also known to aid in weight loss. This is quite a raw salad. If you think you cannot manage eating raw vegetables, then you can sauté the calabash for 20-30 seconds on medium-high flame, with very less oil. Do keep in mind that it gets oxidized very easily. So keep it covered when raw, and if cooking, cook for less than a minute.
- 350 g Calabash
- 1 medium zucchini
- ½ a medium carrot (red/yellow/purple)
- 200 g Yellow peas
- Mixed herbs/micro herbs (I used baby coriander leaves, coriander leaves, and mint)
- 2 ½ tbspn organic peanut butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbspn organic honey
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
– Chop the calabash, zucchini and carrot finely. Add them to a large mixing bowl
– In a small dish on the stove, heat a tspn of oil and roast the garlic cloves till they are lightly brown. Take out the garlic cloves and add them to a processor.
– In the same oil, add the yellow peas and sauté them for 10 seconds. This will remove any bitterness and make them as sweet as they ought to be.
– In a processor make the dressing by adding the peanut butter, lemon juice, a tbspn of the herbs, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper, to the already placed roasted garlic in it.
– Pour the peas, and dressing over the vegetables, and coat the vegetables thoroughly with the dressing.
– Sprinkle the remaining herbs and serve immediately.