It’s the season of heat, yes. But it’s the season for mangoes, more importantly. And here, particularly where I live, we find mangoes in the farmers’ markets right from the beginning of March. (In other parts of India, especially southern India, mangoes cannot even be seen around till the end of April.) And as we approach May, till the end of July, we get raw mangoes that are tart, and ripe ones that are sweet and juicy. And as I always say, mangoes are an exemplary addition to any dish!
I used quite a lot of ginger in this salad, but you could cut it down to suit your palette.
- 1 medium ripe mango
- 1 medium raw mango
- 300 g French beans or Ring beans
- 100 g horse gram sprouts
- 50 g green olives (stuffed or any other)
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
– While you chop your beans into 1 inch pieces, boil 200 ml of water in a large vessel.
– Blanch the beans in the boiling water for exactly 15 seconds, and immediately place them in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process.
– In a medium-sized pan on heat, add ½ a tspn of oil and add the grated garlic clove and horse gram sprouts. Cook for 10 seconds and take it off the heat. Set aside.
– Meanwhile, wash, peel and dice the mangoes into small pieces. And roughly chop the green olives.
– Now bring everything together in a large mixing bowl. Make the dressing by adding 2 tbspn of olive oil and the lemon juice. Pour it over the vegetables and mangoes, and adjust seasoning; and serve topped with fresh ground pepper, and lots of grated ginger.