Transition is the most difficult phase in one’s life. Be it education, work or personal levels, it needs lot of courage to accept change and move on, and most importantly leave the past behind. In my weekly meditation I aim for just one thing: patience. Patience to accept change, patience to be more level-headed when all around you is just turning against you, and patience to have ‘more patience’. I may not have achieved everything, but I am trying everyday, and that’s what I like.
Another breakfast dish that has recently made us very happy because of its super healthy ingredients is this.
- 1 cup WW flour
- 1 heaping tspn baking powder (double action)
- 2 tbspns raw cocao (powder)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or any odourless oil)
- 2-3 tbspn of milk (room temp)
- 150 g dates, deseeded
- 100 g mixed nuts
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
– In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt, baking powder, cocao, and sugar, and mix till everything is combined.
– Add the oil and start making a dough; it will not come together just as yet. So add the milk ( 2 or 3 tbspns) , and let it come together, while you knead, into a dough. Place it in the fridge for about 30-40 minutes.
– Preheat the oven to 180C.
– Make the date-nut mixture by first soaking the dates in hot water for 10-15 min. strain all the water and process the dates until smooth. Process the mixed nuts too.
– Combine the dates and nuts, and add the grated ginger. Mix well and keep aside.
– Roll it out into sheets that are not more than 1/4th inch thick. Place the mixture exactly in the center of the sheet and seal the ‘packets’ by getting both the long edges together. Seal well using your fingers. Cut the filled pastry into 1 or 1.5 inch pieces and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180 C.
– Let the newtons cool. They will become little harder while they cool, but they will still be short in their cover. Enjoy warm, cold or at room temp. they keep well in the refrigerator for more than a week. And the dough can be stored in the fridge for 10 days or so, and can be rolled out again!