I use eggs very rarely in my cooking; actually it has been more than a year and half that I have used eggs in anything; even when I am baking or making a batter, that is. This is a total vegetarian recipe, with nothing but yogurt and a healthy combination of proteins. Aaand I made these without butter! Now, that is an achievement; because pancakes or crepes sans butter are unheard of. But what if we try and avoid butter from now on? What if butter was used only on toast, or not even that? What if olive oil replaced butter altogether? Ever think of it? (Okay, I agree that I am an olive oil addict).
- 100 g Mushrooms (preferably button mushrooms)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, or 2 small tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 1 red onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 5 hazelnuts
- 5 cashew nuts
- A big bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup of WW flour
- 1/3 cup of Rice flour (white or brown)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of fresh yogurt
- 1 tspn of baking powder
– In a processor, add the onion, 3 cloves of garlic, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, chilli, and half of the mint leaves, and process till they form a rubble.
– Wash the mushrooms and chop them. Deseed one tomato and leave the seeds in the other, and chop both tomatoes finely. If you are using cherry tomatoes, just halve them.
– Make your pancake batter by combining the flours, salt, baking powder and yogurt, and the onion mixture. Check the consistency of the batter and add the extra ½ cup of yogurt; and 2 to 3 tspns of water (room temp). The batter should have a dropping consistency. Now add 1 ½ tbspns of oil, and mix thoroughly to emulsify the batter. Let the batter rest for 10 min
– Heat a tbspn of oil heavy bottom dish, add remaining garlic, saute for 20 seconds, and then add the chopped mushrooms. After a minute and a half, after the mushrooms have become soft, add the chopped tomatoes and the remaining mint leaves. Cook for another 30 seconds and switch off.
– Make your pancakes by placing equal amounts of batter on a pan (on medium heat). Wait till one side is brown (but not burnished), and then turn.
– Sandwich the mushroom mixture between the make pancakes and serve hot.