Wishing everyone here a very healthy, happy season ahead! Here is a very healthy cake that we made for Christmas.
The cake has no eggs, no all-purpose flour, and no butter. And because of the barley flour and the yogurt, the cake turns out to be moist, soft, and can be stored in the fridge for about 4 days. I used barley flakes which I ground to a coarse powder. But you can use barley four itself, if you can get your hands on it. For ease, I ground the barley flakes and tea together.
- ½ cup barley four
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 heaped tbspns dry tea leaves (any tea that you have)
- 3 tbspns laight/dark brown sugar
- 1 tspn baking powder
- ½ tspn salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups fresh yogurt
- 3 tbspns of organic dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup fresh yogurt (with the cream on top)
- 2 tbspns organic cherry preserve
- 1 tbspn organic honey
- Preheat the oven to 170 C
- Grind the tea leaves before you start the process
- In a large bowl, mix in the dry ingredients – both the flours, ground tea leaves, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk up the oil and yogurt till they come together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix well. The mixture should be consistent by about 30 seconds to a minute. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Grease and line a loose-bottom tin, and pour the batter into it.
- Bake for about 28-35 minutes, till a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down completely, before you pour the frosting over
For the frosting, combine all the frosting ingredients either by hand or with a whisk, till you get an even mixture.