A very light cake, perfect along with tea. This is an eggless cake, very delicious and very chocolaty.
I used freshly ground pistachios; and I made buttermilk from equal quantities of low fat yogurt and low fat milk, churned together with a fork or a blender, for 30 seconds. The oat flour I used is made from jumbo oats, and the pistachio flour I used was freshly ground.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup pistachio flour
- 5 heaped tspns whole wheat flour
- 2 heaped tbspns of dark, unsweetened cocoa (powder)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tspn baking powder (double action)
- 3 heaped tspns of dark brown, vanilla sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbspn of organic honey
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (the three flours, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder)
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients (buttermilk and oil) , with a fork, making sure they are mixed together.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, the top will be springy and the sides will be coming away lightly from the edges. Leave the cake to cool, for about 10 minutes, before you turn it out.
- After the cake is considerably cooled down, sprinkle some dark brown vanilla sugar and some honey and savour!