So, what did you do for Christmas and New Year? Ours was simple and serene. We baked cakes, ate lots of goodies and relaxed quite a bit. No, it was not hectic. This is the cake we made for Christmas. For new year, we made a simple biscuit cake; does not need detailing at all.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup roasted almond flour
- 5 heaped tspns whole wheat flour
- 2 heaped tbspns of dark, unsweetened cocoa (powder)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tspn baking powder (double action)
- 3 heaped tspns of dark brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate juice
- 1 tbspn natural honey
For the frosting:
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbspn natural honey
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- In a bowl, sift the flours, baking powder and salt, and mix in the sugar.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients (buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract) and keep ready.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and mix thoroughly until homogenous.
- This mixture makes 3 6-inch cakes. (i.e., if you feel this should be one layer, then make this mixture 3 times.)
- Bake each layer for 35-38 minutes, till a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Meanwhile, combine the pomegranate juice and honey in a small saucepan, and reduce it to half by simmering the mixture gently. Take the mixture off the stove and cool the reduction for 5-7 minutes
- While the cakes are still warm (but not hot) out of the oven, make some holes in the cakes with a toothpick, and pour the reduction over the layers quite generously.
- While the cakes are cooling down, make the frosting by first whisking the butter till it is pale;
- Add honey and vanilla extract, and leave the mixture aside.
- Finely chop the white chocolate, and melt it in the microwave in 15-20-second intervals, very carefully.
- Combine this molten chocolate with the butter mixture and whisk again till everything is combined well.
- Now frost the cooled cakes, layer-by-layer, and then the layers placed together, on a turntable.
- Line the top of the cake with pomegranate seeds
- Let the cake chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, before serving.